- Depression and mental health issues can and do affect everyone, regardless of age, gender, race or nationality
- According to SAMHSA, one in four American adults experience mental illness in a given year
- Approximately 20% of youth aged 13-18 experience severe mental disorders in a given year
- Suicide is the second leading cause of death for 15-24 year olds
- There are more suicides each year in the US than homicides
It is time that we stand up against the stigmas and stomp them out
The Stompers Project® by Jana Marie Foundation, uses art, music, stories and other forms of creative expression to educate the community about mental health and helps stomp out the stigma that surrounds mental illness. In a nutshell, Jana Marie Foundation is working with local artists, schools and organizations to create life sized sculptures of people formed out of old sneakers. The sculptures are called “Stompers” to acknowledge their symbolic role in helping to stomp out stigma. You can learn more about the project by visiting the Stompers Project website.
We believe the Stompers Project® has the potential to be a major catalyst in the effort to eliminate the stigma around mental illness and prevent suicide not only here in Centre County, but well beyond.